Tuesday, December 8, 2009

When Gotabaya came to know I am contesting, he offered to share his Secretary post and even offered Ministry portfolios -Sarath Fonseka

(Lanka-e-News, Dec.08, 2009, 8.00PM) The common Presidential candidate General Fonseka addressing a JVP meeting at the New Town Hall yesterday (7) said, regardless of how foul and challenging the forthcoming Presidential elections may be, 90% of the Forces and the police who are safeguarding law and order in the country and the people are with us.

President Mahinda Rajapakse and Defense Secretary Gotabaya Rajapakse are telling there were nothing lacking for me. They allowed a tax free car to be imported. They gave me a land in Colombo. They were given to the Other Amy Commanders too. What was given to us are not out of the Rajapakse Bros. private assets. They are people’s assets given under the rules and regulations.

What the Rajapakse family is telling is despite so much bribes offered to me I am working against them.
When rumors began to float that I was going to contest, Gotabaya telephoned me and offered to share his Secretary post with me. President too using all his powers tried to induce me to accept Ministry posts. I rejected all these to accede to your request s, and to offer my service to the people.

How are you going to abolish the Executive Presidency, ?you are asking me. The unlimited power attaching to this post shall be taken away. But, the Presidency system will remain. But. I am not prepared to just wait like how William Gopallawa was under the 1972 constitution. The people are appointing me to get work done from me. Likewise, I too am becoming President to do work for them. But that should be done without jeopardizing Democracy. The constitution shall be changed, Ultimately, the Parliament must be responsible to the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment